I Like Being Sore (Well, Getting There...)

This week has been about collaboration. I'm in a huge project at work that has half a dozen different departments all inputting into some monumental changes. A pilot has been going this week, and its been awesome to see every department coming together with their expertise and input, all with the end goal of providing phenomenal patient care. Its also fricking exhausting!

The last two nights I've hit the treadmill pretty hard (an hour each night) and last night it was pretty late. I'm not sure if that's why I've been dragging all day or if its just the drain of having my mind working overtime with the pilot, but I can barely keep my eyes open.

But I have a new thought in the back of my mind. I was sore this morning. Not just sore, but like staggered out of bed partially bent over because apparently I have muscles in my back kind of sore. I was bemoaning this to my favorite co-worker Judy, and she said something quite profound- I can't remember her exact words, but the premise was "Sore is good. Learn to love sore, because it means you've accomplished something." First thought is, no ma'am. Sore is not good, my biceps hurt from brushing my teeth! But through the day as my arms ached and my legs were stiff, it actually started to make me smile when I felt it. Why? Because I seriously kicked ass on the treadmill last night. An hour?? Three weeks ago it was a struggle to do 30 minutes! I can tell the difference, I can feel the changes in my body. And I think I kind of even like being sore. :-)

3 comments:

Amy said...
January 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Jillian made me that sore too. I did it again tonight. I just try to think... I'm getting stronger! It's great.

Oh... and great job!

Bonnie said...
January 29, 2009 at 7:34 AM

I've been sore from all the exercise I've started doing, and I know what you mean about liking it. I feel like I'm accomplishing something, and my clothes are starting to loosen up instead of stopping the blood flow!

Jen said...
January 29, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I'm starting to like sore too - kind of like a badge of honour!
You go girl - go get sore!! lol